Cruzan Aged Rum with used Whiskey Elements



Today’s experiment involves used Time & Oak elements.  I started off with a single element used in whiskey for 48 hours.  I decided to use Cruzan Aged Rum for my experiment.  Cruzan Aged Rum is my go-to mixer rum and although it says aged there’s no statement, and it is rather light, so I doubt it spends much time is barrels, but it is lightly sweet and overall just a great rum for cocktails.


I had the element in for 12 hours, and it added a nice light spiciness.

After 24 hours it added a bit of dryness on the finish with a light oak flavor.

48 hours in added flavors of rice pudding and sawdust. A little bit funky but that’s okay for rum.

Then I decided to get all crazy, and I added two more used elements for the last 24 hours for a total of 72 hours of aging.  This added lots of nice color and flavors of caramel, and toasted oak.

A
fun experiment as I had been wondering what several elements will do it once, especially used ones. I would say this was a modest success. My general experience is that the elements work better with something that a little more age or color to it and I think this rum is a little bit young for this experiment, so I’m going try something older for the next experiment. The elements improved the character and made it taste more mature and added a lot of flavors to it.
THE LIQUORIST

No comments:

Post a Comment